I first saw this recipe on an Instagram video. The sound of the crust as they cut into this eggy goodness had me drooling over my phone. Today I decided to give this baby a test run before Christmas, I feared it may be too chewy and the inside would be too soggy. It was a perfect balance of crispy crust and firm eggy goodness.
I added spinach and bacon instead of pancetta. The colors are perfectly festive for Christmas but also make this dish healthy! Yay for my kiddos eating their vegetables stuck between bread and cheese. This was even better warmed up in the toaster oven for dinner. The bread was still crisp and the flavor tasted even better than at breakfast! I cannot wait to play around with the ingredients. I found the demi baguettes in the freezer section which is perfect for having on hand for a quick and easy meal. Enjoy this one!
Level: Easy • Prep Time: 10 minutes • Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 4 demi baguettes, thawed
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 4 oz of Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 4 oz of bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Create Deep V cuts into baguette and remove excess bread inside.
3. Beat eggs and milk together, add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add remaining ingredients and mix together
5. Spoon mixture into baguettes and place in preheated over for 25-30 minutes. Eggs are cooked when firm and bounce back to the touch.
If using heavy cream, bake at 20-25 minutes. I used coconut milk on my first batch and it took 45 minutes for the eggs to fully cook.
These baguettes would taste just as amazing with Swiss cheese, mushrooms and ham. The possibilities are endless. Don’t be afraid to cook this the night before and warm up in the oven for breakfast the next morning or another meal. These were delicious with chicken soup and a kale salad. Let me know if you made this or added any yummy substitutions.
Love and Blessings,